Friday, January 19, 2007

The "Secret"

Some people have been asking if I have a weight loss secret.

Since late November, my wife and I have lost a fair amount of weight - about 30 and 34 pounds, respectively. People want to know if there is a special pill or diet that has accomplished this, something that makes weight loss easy.

I wish there were.

Our three "secrets" are:

1. We gave up colas and all other caffeinated drinks.
2. We eat only about 1,200 calories a day. (I stick between 1,200 and 1,400.)
3. We go to the gym daily.

No cabbage-only diets. No belly fat medicines or miracle machines "as seen on TV." Just hard work. In the beginning, we used one of those digest-sized books that list the calorie content of virtually everything, but I bet we haven't looked at it in over a month. Now that we know what's good and what's not, we eat to maximize the calories we're allowed. This means no snack foods and no super-sized portions.

The good news is that if a schlep like me can do it, anybody can. But nobody can tell you it's time. That's something you have to decide for yourself. Once you commit, the rest is -- well, not easy, but at least easier.

The hard part comes when you have to keep the weight off. And there is no secret that makes that any easier, either.

No comments: