Friday, January 5, 2007

Betty and Veronica's new look

Last week in my print column, I wrote about changes being made to classic Archie Comics characters Betty and Veronica. Enough readers expressed an interest in this "new look" that I've posted a link here.

While Betty and Veronica have been around since Archie was created in the 1940s, their "timeless" look emerged rather organically, led by artistic giant Dan DeCarlo in the 1950s and 1960s. Over the years, their appearance has changed subtly, but nothing like the face lift they're scheduled to receive in the spring.

If you think the new look makes them look retro-skanky, you'll get no argument from me.

While I'm on the subject of comic books and comic strips, I was surprised (but delighted) to see that Stan Lee, co-creator of Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four, made the list of "Top Living Influential Americans" in the December issue of The Atlantic. He came in at number 26, tied with Bill Cosby.

"With great power comes great responsibility." You'd better believe it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.